Customer Name: Moksha Thermoplastics Pvt Ltd, India
Focus: Injection moulding machine monitoring for productivity improvements
The customer is a reputed plastics industrial bobbins manufacturer in Ahmedabad, India. They have very aggressive production and quality standards.
- To monitor OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) in real time and improve
- To track cycle time automatically and in real-time
- To track machine utilization and achieve minimum downtime
Customer works on a very tight production schedule. There were many issues related to productivity and per shift output was not as expected. On investigating reasons it was found that operators would set the machine to higher cycle time value to ensure that quality is good. Fallout of this was wastage of time & resources in each cycle and reduction in productivity.Productivity in night shift was even lower and management suspected that unrequired downtime was high during this shift.
The product changeover on the machine would take lot of time, and now with the scheduling feature of the solution, timely alert indicates completion time and it helps in planning for the changeover to the new product. This has greatly increased their machine utilization
PlantConnect SFactory Solution
Customer has injection moulding machines from many different manufacturers. Instead of approaching OEM for enabling controller connectivity, they decided to go for SFactory Basic solution. In this solution, we acquire a multiple relay output (pulse) which is generated in the machine for every injection cycle. SFactory calculates cycle count, cycle time, etc. using this pulse as trigger. Following is the overall deployment in this installation
- Currently 5 Injection moulding machines, 1 chiller and 2 Fusing machines are connected to SFactory
- 35 more Injection moulding machines, chillers, compressors, mould temperature controllers will be connected in next phase
- SFactory server is installed on company intranet
- A condition based alarm is defined which alerts shift supervisor if cycle time is consistently above or below tolerance
- All other standard features are available including various reports
Benefits after SFactory implementation
PlantConnect SFactory solution was very easy to install and configure. The system is running in the plant for around 6 month as of end December 2016. Already customer is getting results as expected. As they understand the system better, they are using it more meaningfully. AIPL is supporting the customer throughout. Following benefits are already visible:
|Std. cycle time 8 sec / 10 cavities|
|Before SFactory||After SFactory Installation|
|Setting by operator 9.5 sec going un-noticed||Alerts for cycle time variation and corrections|
|Production in 8 hours: 30310||Production in 8 hours: 33880 / by operator setting|
|Product changeover used to take 3 hours||Now product changeover takes just 30 minutesMachine utilization has increased by over 15%!!|
- The cycle time deviations across all the machines/products are coming down. This was achieved via alerts as well as monitoring the cycle time data and at the same time training operators. This resulted in productivity increase
- Display of OEE on large screen in shop floor area has started a healthy competition amongst operators to improve OEE of their machines. With consistent encouragement from managers, this trend will improve their OEE beyond what was possible otherwise.
- Production in-charge and supervisors can monitor OEE in real time and if it starts to reduce for any machine, they promptly investigate the issue and address it.
- Exact downtime recording brings real picture in front of everyone. By assigning downtime reasons and analyzing the top reasons, they are taking measures to reduce the downtime.
- It is very easy, fast and accurate to generate various production reports which are used by management. Also management has direct access to these reports. This ensures more effective control on overall operations.