Customer Name: Line O Matic Graphic Industries, Ahmedabad, India
Focus: Remote Asset Management Solution for Exercise Book/Paper Converting Machines for monitoring of performance and health of capital equipment and machines installed at various clients across geographies.
The customer is a reputed manufacturer of fully automatic exercise book machine, cut size sheeter, reel to sheet ruling, and other machines wanted to strengthen its market position by offering an online monitoring solution that would enable it to provide better maintenance and support services to its customers (continuously increasing) spread across geographies in India and abroad. The company was looking for a suitable and proven solution for their business case.
- Offer remote monitoring capability for increasing up time as an USP and increase competitive advantage over competitors.
- Acquire data in real time from machines installed at customer sites across locations and archive data for analysis and reporting.
- Enable preventive and proactive maintenance tasks so as to increase uptime and prevent unplanned break downs.
- Support and enable remote diagnosis of problems when reported and provide inputs and advice to clients with a view to get machines back in operations in shortest possible time.
- Reduce overall costs for maintenance and support.
- Analyze data and fault reports as inputs for R & D for improving next generation of machines.
The key challenges were to offer remote monitoring of their installed base of machine, provide preventive and proactive maintenance tasks to prevent unplanned break downs, enable remote diagnosis of problems and lastly reduce costs for onsite maintenance and support
PlantConnect RAMS Solution
The company was using a remote desktop solution to connect to each machine and see the operations. However, the obvious shortages like requirement of one system per machine, lack of aggregation, heavy costs of operations, & others was becoming a hindrance as the number of machines to be monitored were increasing.
PlantConnect RAMS from Ascent Intellimation was seen as the perfect fit solution that had the capability of delivering all the objectives laid down and more. PlantConnect has been implemented in many similar scenarios and clients are using the capabilities to fullest. PlantConnect has required features like acquiring data from machines, and providing intelligence on the collected data through analytics and reporting. Additional capabilities can be added as required by client’s domain knowledge in terms or specific reports, alerts and visualization.
The machines have an embedded card installed in each machine. This card runs a Windows OS. PlantConnect DAS is installed on this card, and using the Modbus TCP communication driver, data is acquired from each machine. Each machine is connected to a central server in the operations center of the company over internet.
The client has connected over hundred (100) existing customer sites onto the solution. Every new machine shipped now goes with PlantConnect pre-installed on it. The management and especially the maintenance team are extremely happy with system performance and features. The system, especially the alarms and reporting features are used extensively.
Benefits after PlantConnect RAMS implementation
Based on the project objectives and technical discussions, the client evaluated and selected PlantConnect RAMS as the most appropriate solution for its requirement. Main reasons for this selection were:
|Before PlantConnect RAMS||After PlantConnect RAMS Installation|
|Frequent visits and cost of support very high||With remote monitoring significant drop on onsite visits50% reduction in onsite visit costs!!|
- PlantConnect DAS (Data Acquisition System) module can be embedded on the machine, thus eliminating the requirement of separate PC/hardware
- PlantConnect has comprehensive module to monitor machine health
- PlantConnect has strong analytical and reporting features as required by the client
- PlantConnect has strong server component to handle large data load
- PlantConnect can acquire data from different types of machines and each can be monitored based on their unique features/parameters